This is a project that I have wanted to get working for some time now, but everytime I tried it, it failed on me. There was always some dependency error or some random obscure error. I’ve used url2png.com in the past to capture screenshots of malicious and unknown websites, and while I have scripts that replicate this functionality via PowerShell, I’m not comfortable running that script on a production machine at work.
The older I get the more I have come to despise Microsoft Word for technical documentation. In my world, documentation requires constant updates and periodic review and revision and when things go bad in Word which invariably happens, it goes really bad. Throw in multiple editors and multiple revisions over time and you usually end up with something that starts to lose its formatting over time and when your heading structure and auto-numbering breaks, well then all bets are off and sometimes your better off to spend the time and rewrite it.
Now that I’ve established the blog, I would like to proof of concept a Continuous Integration, Continuous Deployment (CI-CD) pipeline for it. Its something that I know I will be able to utilise in the future and its a valuable skill to be across given that my line of work does include automation and scripting for both personal and professional reasons. Having the code stored in a git repository is the first step to this.