I’ll start by saying, that I have done these sorts of posts in the past where I have stood up TheHive and reverse proxies etc using a docker-compose file so the basic configuration etc is going to be heavily borrowed except for some minor tweaks. I am still old school so this isnt a configuration you would want to run for mission critical services, however there is a guide for how to use Docker in Production.
TheHive. You know i’m a huge fan of this Incident Response platform with many blog posts dedicated to it including how you can integrate and interface with it. Over the years TheHive has been on a journey and has matured and stabalised. Now with a new code base the developers have taken full control of the licensing for version 5. I do however have mixed feelings about this. On one hand i’m sad that TheHive no longer open source.
One of the most powerful features of TheHive has to be the outgoing webhooks. You make any modification to any case, task, observable etc and if configured, the outgoing webhooks will do with it what you will. I’ve written a few blog posts about TheHive webhooks, and my platform of choice has been Nodered for this. With a highly extendable and easy to use graphical drag and drop interface, it makes it easier to visualise your workflows.
In my last post, I covered how I went about upgrading TheHive from 3.4 to 3.5RC1 along with a double upgrade of Elasticsearch. Well now its Cortex’s time. Cortex 3.1.0 also uses Elasticsearch 7.8 so we are in for a similar upgrade process. Depending on your reliance on Cortex it may be a nice addition to TheHive that is rarely used, or it may be critical to your operation. Either way, getting to the latest version is desirable as there are always welcome bug fixes and improvements with error handling, reporting and general integration.
TheHive 3.5.0 RC1 has now been released and my environment is in a bit of a shambles for this upgrade. You see when I performed my upgrade of TheHive 3.2.1 to 3.4.0 I elected to not upgrade to ElasticSearch 6.8 at the time as I wanted to do some more testing on it. I told myself, TheHive 3.4 was working just fine using Elasticsearch 5.6, so I never went ahead with the Elastic part of the upgrade.
Well its been a few months since I have written anything on my blog. Its not that I’ve been lazy, well OK its because I’ve been a little lazy and that I have been chasing squirrels and playing around with Home-Assistant and other various pieces since being in lockdown. I have also lacked the motivation to get something down in writing. Anyway, on with what I wanted to write about….
TheHive dashboards, while they are great at showing data counts and displaying then as graphs, there is one feature that was lacking in that it cant display a data table of what those cases are. So while you can build a dashboard to get a snapshot of where your team is at, you can’t see what cases and task that are in play. While there is an open issue to add this functionality, I thought i’d try something a little different with TheHive to fill that gap, and export the case and task data into a Splunk kvstore and build it out that way.
With my Java issue sorted out now, here are the steps to upgrade TheHive from RC1 to RC2. This is a dirty upgrade, but since TheHive is still in Release Candidate status, we can get away with upgrading like this. Ordinarily you should ensure that you have your system backed up in case there are breaking changes. Stop TheHive service sudo service thehive stop Update apt repositories and upgrade May as well apply all the security updates while I am at it.
I was so excited at the thought of all the cool new features that have popped up in TheHive v4.0.0-RC2 that I went straight onto my lab to give it a spin. Little did I know that my system was broken before I even started and I spent the best part of a few hours trying to figure out what exactly happened. For a brief moment I did consider burning the lab down and just rebuilding it, but I asked myself what would happen if this were a prod system?
Docker is something that i’ve not fully embraced to date, I know, I know… I’m a little late off the mark, but as I get to know Docker more, I can see that it has some worthwhile advantages for me in some of the projects I use and generally getting to know technology is never a bad thing. For instance, why spin up a single server for a service that only has 1 of the 65535 ports used when 99% of the time that server will most likely be idle.
This post is a continuation of TheHive v4 RC1 in that I am providing the instructions to add Internal Authentication to Cassandra as well as a reverse proxy so we can connect back to TheHive with https. Add Internal Authentication to Cassandra It is recommended that you don’t allow access to the cqlsh unless there is some sort of authentication mechanism attached to it. There are too many horror stories of databases being dumped, and the internal authentication will make it that little bit harder to access from the cqlsh shell.
TheHive version 4 RC1, it’s here, its been here for a solid few weeks and I’m only just getting around to checking it out now. The new update looks to include a few nice features and a welcome back end technology refresh which should keep the platform in support for a good while yet. At this stage, I would not suggest attempting to either upgrade your existing version 3 installations to version 4, or run a clean install as your main case management production system if you’re just starting out, but get to know this version by spinning up a new virtual machine because when the time comes around, you will give yourself a good leg up.